Monday, September 13, 2010

Week 1 or "We'll decide how smart you are in a few months"

Tomorrow I celebrate one week anniversary in Indiana. I'm finally in a healthy relationship. I know, I know- save your applause for the end of this presentation.
Indiana is really lovely. That's the best adjective I can use at the moment. My family is so funny and awesome and crazy. They've welcomed me with open arms and we literally have not stopped laughing since I got here! There are so many things to tell....let's do a rundown:
My aunt Judy, is a nut. She was the first fam I saw at my arrival. She was soooo excited to see me and immediately wanted to give me a tour of my cousins' house and then of the city. My house tour consisted of showing me my bedroom. and that was it. Two days ago, my cousin Jessica finished giving me the house tour Aunt Judy forgot about 5 minutes in. :) Oh, and I'm still waiting on the city tour...we're about to start putting money on how long it takes her to remember about the city tour time forgot(even though I've pretty much figured out where everything is already...). I absolutely adore being able to spend so much time with my cousins and their kids. Steve and Jessica are hilarious and it's been so nice to start developing this adult/ family relationship. Jessica and I have really started bonding and it's been really nice to feel like I not only have my family around, but a friend as well. Steve and Jessica's kids are OOC. I'm slightly obsessed;
Garrett is in 4th grade and your typical boy; he plays pee-wee football (Go Vikings!) and he loves action figures and video games (I totally whooped him in Madden '08 the other day. I'm pretty sure he let me win though). There is one thing that sets young G apart from other boys- he hates almost all food....seriously. The only things he will eat are spaghetti, chicken nuggets, pizza, and tostitos lime chips. That's it. I'm positive he would like a lot more- but he hates all food except the aforementioned purely out of principle now. He's like an old man extremely set in his ways.
Ava is in second grade and is such a hoot. She plays soccer (Viva Italia!) and loves dress up and Polly Pocket and shopping (We're planning a girls only shopping excursion as we speak). To put it mildly, this is Ava's world and I'm just living in it. She speaks her mind and is not afraid to do anything to make any situation go her way. She's sweet as she can be though.
AnnaKate is the baby. She just turned 1 in June. She's the weirdest baby I've ever met. She talks constantly, like the girl doesn't shut up. and she always wants to be held, but as soon as you pick her up, she wants down. The two words she really knows are "Up" and "Mom" and says them 100 times a day. She laughs all the time which is such a joy as there's not much better then laughing baby. Oh and she's a human vacuum.
So far this week, I've been shopping (naturally)- H&M has never treated me so well....It was quiet and clean and well stocked and amazing. Of course I went a little nuts, but nothing like the damage I normally do (aren't you proud?). I've sampled the local cuisine- aka- Paradise Bakery (Don't worry, it's definitely a chain, but my parents talk about it all the time and are obsessed with it and so I felt the pressure to go- FYI- it tastes pretty much like Panera) oh, and I went to my favorite Mexi spot- Chipotle. Ugggghhhhh, I love it. There aren't even words to describe the pure happiness I felt when walking into the restaurant. I'm such a nerd. I've also been planning a few foodie trips around the city to some places I've seen on the travel channel...stay tuned for a total foodie post.
I've been to the local watering hole (to be discussed in another post- it's just too good). And I've done a lot of driving and a lot of thinking. I really do like it here with one exception, one which I might add I'm totally working on/ dealing with. Friends. I miss my friends and would like to hang out with some peeps who are around my age. Jessica has been totally been my saving grace in this area, she's been plotting away at all the "cool, young, hip" places she's going to take me in the next few weeks, so I'm pumped about that. Oh and I've joined the local gym, I totally walked in today and was taken a back by the view (wink, wink.) I think I'm going to like this gym and all the new friends I will be sure to meet there...ha ha ha ha.
Well, I think that's really all I have for now. I hope life is treating you well wherever you are and that the quickly approaching fall is sending cool breezes your way.
Oh man, it's music time- This is what I've been listening to in Indiana- These are mostly whole albums....
All Birds Say - Carl Broemel- Carl is the guitarist for My Morning Jacket and this is his first solo endeavor. And it's delightful. "Heaven Knows" is my fave track but the whole album is like the beginning of fall. Such a nice surprise when it finds you.
Love To Live - The Living Sisters- The harmonies will blow you away and the lyrics are hilarious and sassy. The Living Sisters consist of Inara George of The Bird & The Bee, Becky Stark of Lavender Diamond, and Eleni Mandell, a solo folk artist. If you like She & Him, you will definitely like The Living Sisters.
Kaleidoscope Heart- Sara Bareilles- I absolutely adore this cd. I actually stopped in Nashville on my way up here to find it. I think it's better than her first album. It's pure piano pop and it's awesome.
Other Albums worth the listen:
A Brief History of Love- The Big Pink
I Learned The Hard Way- Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings
Volume 2 - She & Him
** These are just songs**
A Fool For You- Ray Charles. I love Ray Charles and I love this song. There's really no point in trying to describe genius. Just listen.
Come Here My Love- Van Morrison. Holy Moly. This is the most romantic, enchanting, seductive song I think I've ever heard. It's from the album Veedon Fleece- you can't get it on iTunes, you can get it on Amazon.com and do yourself a favor and buy it. Ignite a new a flame or rekindle a fire with this bad boy.
Runaway- The National. Oh my gosh, I just love Matt Berninger's voice. I saw them live at Bonnaroo this year and they were amazing, and I'm going to see them in a few weeks up here and I can't wait. This song is one of my faves from their latest cd- High Violet.

K, Love you bye.
-j.



No comments:

Post a Comment